By Laurie Beth Jones
The space you are looking for may surprise you. It is not Instagrammable. It is not Tweetable. There is no social media value in it. And yet it is what you are looking for.
The space where thoughts can emerge. Your own pulse can be heard. Doves coo in the courtyard, creating a holy boundary in this space where you walk.
On the hour church bells ring out.
The table begs to be moved. The swivel chair needs to be turned 12 degrees. You look up on the mantel and count them. Eight. Individual. Miniature Paintings you mother did in a space of few weeks, hoping to sell them for $12 each at a church fundraiser.
But you came in and bought them all. Paying full price out of respect.
1. Painting 1. An orange orbed sun setting over saguaro cactus.
2. Painting 2. The Snoopy figure outline famous in the Sedona Red Rocks.
3. Painting 3. Red mountains against a clear blue sky.
4. Painting 4. Purple mountains blanketed by yellow wildflowers.
5. Painting 5. A still life of purple and yellow flowers in a blue vase.
6. Painting 6. Three white geese ambling up a path by a wooden fence.
7. Painting 7. A window with red geraniums and vines growing up the wall.
8. Painting 8. Red poppies against a blue sky.
Oh, for my mother’s eyes and hands. I weep.
Oh for just one more minute, to sit with her on the porch swing, In silence. * * *
Laurie Beth Jones